Sony has announced a new lightweight full-frame lens, the 35mm f/1.8 (model SEL35F18F). It’s an E-Mount lens, for use on cameras such as the Sony Alpha 7 Mark III.
Sony say this light-weight prime lens provides mobility and convenience for shooting a wide range of subjects. It provides outstanding corner-to-corner image quality from a maximum f/1.8 aperture and features quiet autofocus.
Sony 35mm f/1.8 full frame lens key features:
- Large f/1.8 maximum aperture, weighing in at just 280 grams and measuring 65.6 mm (diameter) by 73.0mm (length); this new lens sets a new standard for portability.
- Smart optical construction including an aspherical element to suppress aberration and deliver high resolution throughout the entire image frame. 9-blade circular aperture enables beautiful bokeh.
- Minimum focus distance of 0.22m and maximum magnification of 0.24x offer easy access to the world of close-up photography.
- Conveniently placed, customisable focus hold button and a focus mode switch for instantaneous switching between auto and manual focus.
- Linear Response Manual Focus for fine, responsive manual focus control.
- Dust and moisture resistant design[ii] add to the versatility and reliability of this new lens and invoke a feeling of confidence in the user.
- Fast, precise and quiet linear-motor AF drive system for precise focus for both stills and movies where “wobbling” is employed for delicate continuous focus control.
“A 35mm prime lens is a go-to lens for so many photographers as its versatility means that it is the right choice for so many different kinds of shot,” said Yann Salmon-Legagneur, Director of Product Marketing for Digital Imaging, Sony Europe. “Our new 35mm FE lens combines brilliant corner to corner clarity with a truly lightweight design and we are confident that it will appeal to a wide range of stills and movie shooters.”
Pricing and availability
The FE 35mm f/1.8 will ship in Europe in August 2019, priced at approximately €700 and £630.